Welcome! I hope I can help you find great deals, explore budgeting ideas, try new recipes, and share frugal living tips. Thanks for stopping by!

February 18, 2010

Be Frugal with your Time


I learned in economics that the worth of an item depends largely on supply and demand.  If there is a lot of a good and little demand, that good is not worth very much.  If the number of items are limited and high in demand, then the worth goes way up.

Using this logic, I would venture to say that our time is one of the most valuable things that we have.  It is limited and always will be.  We will never have more than 24 hours in a day, 7 days a week, etc.  Every minute that goes by is a minute that we have spent.  I have been listening to Dave Ramsey's book about how to keep an effective budget.  We keep a budget to keep track of how we spend our money- how can we tell if we have spent our time wisely?

I don't know the answer to that, but the important thing is that we are trying our best to use the time we have wisely.

Listen to a Book- Spend your Time Learning
For the past 5 months I have commuted 40 min. to work everyday.  I have always felt like I was wasting that time. This month I finally did something about it.  My husband and I got a library card (it is free for your first year). 

Now I listen to books on CD on my way to and from work.  It is amazing how fast you can 'read' a book when you listen for 1 1/2 hours a day!  It has been so fulfilling to spend my commuting time learning about budgeting, giving, & gospel study.

Visit Thrifty Thursday & Frugal Friday  for more Frugal Tips! 
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I used to take the train to work many years ago. I had found a book called "French Made Simple," and was able to teach myself the language (with a little help from some classes I'd already taken in High School) well enough to get by in Paris on two different trips. Alas, it's a long time since I could afford Paris, and I've forgotten most of my French. These days, I wish I had that same commuting opportunity to learn...I'd study Spanish instead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thought of that! I might try spanish. I have always wanted to learn it.

    ReplyDelete