Welcome! I hope I can help you find great deals, explore budgeting ideas, try new recipes, and share frugal living tips. Thanks for stopping by!

February 4, 2010

Save Money-Change Your Own Oil

I am currently commuting to work every day, and as a result, we change the oil in my car monthly.  If we had it changed at The Grease Monkey it would cost us $40 each month!  Instead, my husband changes our oil.  Changing the oil in a vehicle is very simple, my husband is not a mechanic or anything.  Here is a run down of the cost:

5 qt. Oil at Walmart: $12.50
Oil Filter: $4.00
Total Cost: $16.50
Labor Time: 15-20 min.

20 minutes of work saves us $20 a month.  That is almost a week of groceries!  Of course, that is just checking the oil & a servie station usually does a full service check.  We take our car to have a full service check at a service station when there is a promotion or coupon to make sure we are keeping everything on the car up to date.

Visit Life As Mom to see more frugal tips!
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. My husband always changes our oil, that is unless I have a free coupon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We buy our oil at Costco. Since we buy the higher end stuff it's a lot cheaper to buy it in bulk.

    Costco just came out with a $7.00 off coupon in their coupon booklet for the Chevron or Shell Oil!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads up! We will have to look there.

    ReplyDelete