Welcome! I hope I can help you find great deals, explore budgeting ideas, try new recipes, and share frugal living tips. Thanks for stopping by!

January 26, 2010

Menu Planning


One of my goals for the Eat from the Pantry Challenge was to be better at weekly menu planning.  Since there are only 2 of us, it is tempting to just wing it.  Unfortunately, the things that are the quickest to cook are not always the most healthy or least expensive.  We have really implemented menu planning the last two weeks. We have not stuck to our schedule religiously, but it has given us a guideline and helped our days go by much smoother.


Here are a few of the benefits I have found in menu planning:
1. I can plan meals according to my schedule. If it a busy day when neither of us have time for much cooking, we plan a crock pot meal or something that takes minimal preparation at dinner time.

2. Menu planning encourages me to try new things. It is easy to fall into the habit of making the same thing over & over- and when you are writing out a menu it is easy to catch yourself doing it. I have been reminded of recipes I have not tried for a while & been more motivated to look up more new recipe ideas.

3. When I plan out my weekly meals in advance, I am more likely to plan a well rounded meal with all the food groups. When we just through something together, it is usually just a main dish.

Here is my plan for this week:
We plan on having pancakes & eggs for breakfast every morning & leftovers, quesadillas, or sandwiches for lunch.

Monday: Traveling  (Daniel had an interview for vet school!)

Tuesday:
Chicken Diapers (rolls w/ chicken & cream cheese filling- my husband named them)

Wednesday:
Twice Baked Potatoes
Chicken
Steamed Broccoli
Rolls

Thursday:
Beef Stew
Rolls

Friday:
Chicken, rice, Broccoli Casserole
Rolls

Saturday:
Lasagna
Salad
Breadsticks

Sunday:
Roast
Potatoes
Carrotts
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment