Welcome! I hope I can help you find great deals, explore budgeting ideas, try new recipes, and share frugal living tips. Thanks for stopping by!

July 7, 2010

Homemade Tortillas

Growing up my mother always made homemade tortillas. I love them. They are more filling than store bought tortillas. I made them for dinner tonight- Yum! I was surprized how simple they are.

Ingredients:
2 Cups Flour
1/4 Cup Dried Milk
1/4 Cup Shortening (I used margerine)
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 Tablespoon salt
3/4 Cup Water

Mix dry ingredients.  Cut shortening into mixture until crumbly.  Mix in water.  Dough will be a little sticky.  Add flour to make it workable.  Let sit for 10 min.  Form dough into ping pong ball size balls.  Cover with dish towel.  Let sit for 10 min. 
Roll out on floured surface.  The less you work the dough, the softer the tortillas are.  The dough is easier to roll out when it has rested.
Cook on frying pan or griddle.  Flip when bubbles form.  Watch closely, they should cook quickly.  Flip at least 3 times.
This recipe makes about 12 medium sized tortillas.  Serve as tacos, burritos, fajitas, or enchiladas.  Enjoy!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment