Welcome! I hope I can help you find great deals, explore budgeting ideas, try new recipes, and share frugal living tips. Thanks for stopping by!

September 30, 2010

Freezing Green Chillies

Of all of our vegetable freezing, green chilies was definitely the most time consuming.  I think I need to broil the peppers longer so that the skins come off easier.  I will have to try that next time and see.

We used Anaheim peppers to make mild green chilies.  I am not sure if you can use other types of peppers.

Step One- Wash & Broil
Place the washed peppers on a baking sheet & broil until the skins are black and bubbled.  I should have broiled these a little longer to make it easier to take the skins off.
Step Two- Cool
Once they are bubbly, place directly into a bowl of ice water. This should help make the skins come off easier.
Step Three- Remove Skins
Once the peppers have cooled, carefully peal the skins off.  This should be fairly easy.  The parts that were not broiled as well were a little harder to get off.
Step Four- Dice
Once they are pealed, cut the top off then cut the pepper open and remove most of the seeds.  It is ok if you do not get them all.  Then dice the pepper into small pieces.

Step Five- Freeze
We placed the chilies in snack size bags in small portions.  We then put the small bags in a larger freezer bag.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment