Welcome! I hope I can help you find great deals, explore budgeting ideas, try new recipes, and share frugal living tips. Thanks for stopping by!

November 11, 2010

Pie Crust Recipe

I really enjoy pies for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  My mother makes 5 or 6 different kinds of pies each year, so it is part of the holiday season for me.

It took me a while to feel comfortable making pie crust.  There is an art to making pastries- and I definately have not figured it all out, but I am still suprised at how quick and simple it is to make a pie crust.

8 or 9 inch One Crust Pie
(if you are making a two crust pie, just double the ingredients)

Ingredients:
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 to 3 Tablespoons cold water

Cut shortening into flour and slaut until particles are size of small peas.

Sprinkle in water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans side of boal.  The water is tricky.  I usually add a few extra Tablespoons.  You want to have a rollable dough. 

Gather pastry into a ball. (If you are doing a 2 crust pie, divide dough in half) Flatten on lightly floured surface.  Roll pastry 2 inches larger than pie plate.

Fold pastry into quarters & carefully transfer to pie plate.  Unfold in pie plate and press firmly against the bottom and side.

Trim overhanging edge of pastry 1 inch from rim.  Fold & roll pastry under until even with edge of plate.  Use your fingers or a fork to flute the edges.

Fill crust as directed in recipe

Bake at 475 until light brown (or according to recipe)
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment