Welcome! I hope I can help you find great deals, explore budgeting ideas, try new recipes, and share frugal living tips. Thanks for stopping by!

September 30, 2010

Freezing Tomatoes

This is my first year to try this, and I am way excited about it.  If you have freezer space and enjoy cooking with diced tomatoes, this seams like a very efficient way to go.  I am excited to try our frozen tomatoes in soups and sauces this winter.

I have heard that you can just put whole tomatoes in the freezer and use them to cook later.  I have also heard that the skins can get tough.  I decided to spend a little bit of time preparing the tomatoes now, so when I use them I just have to dump them from the bag.

Step One- Blanching
The first thing you do is blanch the tomatoes.  This makes it really easy to take the skins off. 
Wash your tomatoes & start a pot of water boiling.  Prepare a bowl with ice water. 

Place the tomatoes in the boiling water for about 30 seconds, then use a slotted spoon to put the tomatoes into the bowl of ice water.

Step Two- Remove Skins
After blanching, the tomatoe skins will peal off with very little effort.
Step Three- Dice and Bag
I then diced them up and placed them in snack size baggies (about 1.5 cups ea.).  I then put the snack bags in a gallon freezer bag.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment