Welcome! I hope I can help you find great deals, explore budgeting ideas, try new recipes, and share frugal living tips. Thanks for stopping by!

January 19, 2011

My Freezer Cooking Day

Yesterday I had a mini freezer cooking day.  I froze a batch of pumpkin muffins, 1 batch of pumpkin pancakes (Daniel and I decided to try this and see if we like them warmed up before I freeze a bunch), 1 batch of bread machine rolls, and (6) 3/4 cup bags of squash.
I started the day by cooking a squash from my mother.  I cut the squash in thirds, removed the seeds, and cooked the squash for 2 1/2 hours. 
Then I scooped out the squash and blended it until it was smooth.  This is what I used to make the muffins and pancakes.  Then I froze the rest to use later.

Having quick snacks and meals in the freezer really helps us to stick to our budget.  It gives us quick options for dinner when we don't feel like cooking.  The last month I have tried to stock my freezer for the first few weeks after our baby is born.  Hopefully this preparation will allow us to eat well and stay within our budget!
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. That is really Cool LeaDawn. You will have to tell me how they turn out. It would be nice for Zane and I to have stuff like that in the freezer for when we need a quick breakfast! This is Shaleece by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a quick question... I have tried to freeze pancakes before & I was curious how you did it. Wax paper in between? To re-heat, microwave or toaster?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will let you know if we like the re-heated pancakes. Jenn- we have actually never tried it before, so this is a first time. I let the pancakes cool a bit so they did not stick together, then put them in a freezer bag. I did not have wax paper, but that would probably be a good idea. If we don't like them warmed up, we are going to try making homemade mix packets.

    ReplyDelete